Monday, February 12, 2007

curatorial currency

I'm supposed to be posting on here as a part of my thesis project. So starting now I'm going to do a posting every day or try to. Regardless of length or depth I think it will be a good exercise in organizing my thoughts. Something I'm not very skilled at doing. I would also love to hear from anyone their thoughts and comments on what I post.

I was thinking today about books. About those relatively nice books you can order online through apple's iphoto or quoop. I'm thinking of books as a curatorial tool. Why can't a book or a magazine function as a museum or gallery? Essentially they are meant to serve the same function. Of course a museum is more "dead" than a book. Perhaps simply because there is an inherent power structure within the museum/gallery trope; books and magazines give the viewer the power by personal presentation and intimate interaction.

So I am announcing the Little Cities project. Once a month beginning in June '07 I am going to curate a "show" that will be published in book,magazine, or blog form exclusively. The first installment will be about currency art. This is a proposal I am writing for a real show at Apex Art in NYC. I've been collecting monies that I find interesting from my various jobs throughout the years and will use those as well as more sociological and professional artistic examples. Wallpapering with notes, art made from shredded currency, etc. If anyone has interesting info on any of this I'd love to hear from you.


No comments: